The 4th October 2012 Christopher Marsh talked about Agility in a agency environement. This event was orgnised by Agile London in the AQKA agency. The entrance was free like the beers and crisp. People friendly, it was a nice evening event.
I was specificaly interested about his experience with continuous delivery .
His main observations are :
- In a project using a interatif process like scrum, the team needs to make some releases regulary, to be tested by a QA tester at least.
- Sprint after sprint it becomes more and more time consuming to produce a release and deploy it. This decreases the velocity of the team
His solution :
- Make delivery to the QA by a kind of green button: The QA can deployement when he need a build if it is ready
The 2 benefits of this :
- Stabilise and minimize the cost of the deployements in a sprint
- Remove the direct depency between developers and QA testers : Developers have to prepare a stable release at the end of each sprint. QA team can test it when it have time for it.
Lot of organisations are reluctant to use continuous delivery because they think it's almost impossible to make the last stage : contiuous deployment in production. Anyway they should use continuous delivery until QA in the purpose to increase the productivity of dev teams and QA teams.
Agile london : http://agilelondon.ning.com
Continuous delivery : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_delivery
Christopher March : http://www.cjmarsh.com